Me & the Family

Me & the Family

Sunday, January 29, 2012

I woke up a step-mom!

June 16, 2008




I had every intent to write a blog last week.  I never got around to it.  I've been in a bit of a fog lately...possibly a bit of depression?  My friend told me it probably had to do with the amount of stress I've been under...and slowing down for a week made me realize it.


I despise crying...especially over NOTHING!

When I woke up this morning I realized I was a mother of three.  Most of you that read this might say...how would that be confusing for you?

Let me give you the shortened version...

Mid-February my husband got a phone call that he had a daughter.  She was 11 years old.  We never knew, all these years.  We have been married 11 years and have two children: a son who is 10 and a daughter who is 9.  Obviously the child was concieved prior to us even meeting.  We met and married rather quickly when we were 20.  Any ways...we got this phone call and over the past 4 months we have met Maria, gone to court, and weekend visitation, and she moved home with us on June 6th. 


The kids went off to bible camp two days later.  They just returned on Friday night.  Up until now it has always been weekends only with Maria.  She had to finish up school.  Today marks the first Monday that I jetted off to work and I had three children. I had three children to wake up this morning.  I had three children that I had to tell them to pack their lunches.  I had three children that I asked if they had brushed their teeth...

And this shouldn't be odd because I knew that this was happening...
But for whatever reason, this morning, it just became

 

With many of my new FIRSTS...I also realized this week that I am not Maria's mother.  I mean, yes, I am the one that every day she calls mom and mommy...but up until 3 months ago she only knew one other mother.  Her birth mother.  She currently does not have visitation until the family is stabilized but she is allowed to call.

She called for the first time the other day. 
And it was weird.

This crazy journey that God has set me upon...some days I wake up and ask if I have the energy to continue.  And He provides it for me.  And I am blessed to have three of the most wonderful children in the world!

And yes, as MOM I am biased.  :)

No comments: